Procedure in 8 Steps – Global Exchange Programme
These steps are for students who want to study in Göttingen through the Global Exchange Programme.
1. Apply at your home university
Apply for the Global Exchange Programme at your home university
2. Application at the University of Göttingen
If you have been nominated by your home university, please submit a motivation letter and a transcript of records by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This helps us to assess your study interests and your course planning so that you can study successfully in Göttingen.
3. Registration at the University of Göttingen
If you have been accepted by the University of Göttingen, you must register via the online form at the University of Göttingen.
Registration deadlines: June 1 for the winter semester, December 1 for the summer semester
After entering your data, you will receive a personal registration number. Please keep this number in a safe place.
4. Print registration form & signature
Please print the registration form after entering the data. Correct incomplete and incorrect information and sign it.
Your subject coordinator at your home university must also sign the registration form. Send the signed registration form by email to email@example.com.
5. Confirmation of your registration
As soon as we have received your online registration, you will be admitted to study in Göttingen and you will receive a Welcome Package with all important information to prepare for your stay abroad.
6. Visa (outside the EU)
The Welcome Package contains the admission letter and the invitation. You will need these to apply for a visa. Submit your visa application early at a German embassy or consulate in your home country. Keep in mind that processing can take several weeks.
About 2 months before the start of your studies, you will receive detailed information about enrolment at the University of Göttingen from Ms. Xiaoting He by mail. You can be enrolled ahead of time even before you arrive in Göttingen. This makes it easier for you to plan your courses and studies. Early enrolment is voluntary. You can also enrol on-site at the beginning of the semester.Documents for enrolment
- Proof of valid health insurance
- Proof of the payment of the semester fee
Note: As part of your enrolment, you will have to pay a total fee of approx. 320 Euro. This semester fee changes every semester and includes a Studentenwerk fee, student body fees (Studierendenschaftsbeitrag), and the semester ticket including:
- train ticket: free use of many local trains within the federal states of Lower Saxony and Bremen as well as to Hamburg Hauptbahnhof, Kassel Wilhelmshöhe, Paderborn, Nordhausen (via Walkenried) for students
- bus ticket: free rides on the city buses in Göttingen as well as Bovenden and Rosdorf
- culture ticket: heavily discounted or even free admission to cultural institutions such as theatres, museums, but also music events in pubs or cultural centers
8. Introductory event in Göttingen
We will give you important information about living and studying in Göttingen in the Introductory event for exchange students.