Master Applied Statistics
What is Statistics and why should I study it?
Applied statistics is a key tool to help us navigate the information society, enabling us to effectively collect, integrate, and analyze data. Applied statistics helps us to develop and apply general methods and tools to analyze large and complex amounts of data from different sources for objective analysis. Applied statistics is also an interdisciplinary area of study that combines the synergies of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. The focus of the Master's program is statistical modeling as well as providing students with a balanced understanding of both mathematics and its practical applications. Students also select a specialization within the program in either Economic Sciences, Life Sciences, Empirical Social Research and Computer Sciences.
Detailed information on admission requirements and the application process for the Master's program are available here. Please note that the Master of Applied Statistics contains courses in both German and English. Sufficient competency in both languages will need to be demonstrated as part of the application process. Practical Experience
A key component of the program is an internship that provides students the opportunity to apply their theoretical knowledge. The internship can take place at either the university or a business or organization. Additionally, the program will also provide special modules pertaining to the different fields of selected concentrations. Lastly, students will also gain practical skills through training in various statistical software packages.
The Master of Applied Statistics conveys:
- A deep understanding of the most important statistical models and analytical tools for practical analysis of complex data, as well as the ability to analyze new types of problems
- Training in various statistical software packages, including analysis and programming
- The ability to understand the results of statistical analysis and to convey findings to non-experts
- A host of key qualifications which can be chosen by the students
- Knowledge on issues of data protection and data security
Employment Opportunities and Career Perspectives
Employment prospects for statisticians are excellent and remain in high demand for the foreseeable future. Statisticians are needed in any industry where decision-making is based on complex data analysis. Potential employers are in particular insurance companies, banks, the IT-sector, consultancies, R&D departments in the private sector, pharmaceutical companies, public research institutes, universities, and statistical agencies. The following examples illustrate the wide array of fields in which statisticians are employed:
- In medicine, statisticians are often employed in the pharmaceutical sector for planning and implementation of clinical studies, as well as for R&D. Statisticians are also in high demand in the area of public health and general health care management.
- In the banking and insurance sector, statisticians are employed to evaluate portfolios, conduct risk analysis, evaluate various financial products, and calculate premia.
- Marketing and consumer opinion organizations need statisticians to design and execute surveys, as well as to analyze large, complex data sets on consumer behavior (for example, supermarket scanner data, or the purchasing behavior of consumers).
- Statisticians are employed in general research departments across the public and private sectors to design experiments, carry out research projects, and analyze the resulting data.
- Statisticians are also found in the IT sector, working in areas such as search engine optimization, or for planning and managing resources.
Areas in which there is a particularly high demand for statisticians are:
- Animal Population
- Computer Science
- Health Science
- Medical Clinical Trials
- National Defense
- Political Science
- Public Health
- Science Writing and Journalism
- Survey Methods