Registration at the Local Residents' Registration Office


To register at the Residents’ Registration Office, you will need:

  • Your passport or official identity card
  • the "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" (confirmation of housing) (including details of all family members) form
  • Married couples and families with children must present a valid marriage certificate and the birth certificates of the children (certified German translation), if necessary, with an apostille or other legal certification.

You will receive a registration certificate. Please keep this in a safe place. You will need it to open a bank account and apply for a residence permit.

The registration certificate fee is €7.50 (as of 2022).

Certificate of good conduct

If you need a German police certificate of good conduct, for instance, for University employment, you can apply for one at the Residents’ Registration Office. The fee for this certificate is 13 euros (as of 2022). You can also find the application form at the Welcome Centre.


When you leave Göttingen and Germany for good, you should de-register at the Residents’ Registration Office. If you move within Germany, this step is not necessary. The Residents’ Registration Office in Göttingen will be informed by the Residents’ Registration Office of your new place of residence once you have registered there.


The International Office
Welcome Centre

Von-Siebold-Straße 4
37075 Göttingen


Find us on Facebook

The Welcome Centre is not barrier-free. Please contact us if you need assistance.