Application & Financing
The programme is open to all who hold a Bachelor's degree in theology, cultural or social anthropology, philology, politics, development studies, or related subjects. Applicants are expected to demonstrate interest in theology, ecumenism, mission, or religious studies. Given the international diversity of higher education, there are no mandatory requirements; each application will be reviewed individually.
The application period for M.A.programme Intercultural Theology for the winter semester 2023-24 has been extended till April 15, 2022 for the EU/EEA students.
For the winter semester 2024-25 the application period for the EU/EEA students as well as non-EU/EEA students starts on October 1, 2023 and closes on December 31, 2023.
All application materials have to be completed in English. The following documents are required:
- Bachelor's degree certificate or equivalent diploma (copy and authorised translation in English)
- Bachelor's degree transcript of records (copy and authorised translation in English)
- Confirmation that you have written a B.A. thesis with the topic indicated (title page of your Thesis is sufficient)
- Curriculum vitae (in a tabular format)
- Photo (passport type)
- Letter of motivation (max. 1000 words)
- Scan of your passport
- Additional documents in support of your application (optional)
|•||Letters of recommendation|
|•||Pdf of your B.A. thesis (if in English)|
|•||List of your publications with some samples of your writing (if in English)|
|•||List of your social/political/ecumenical/religious volunteering or charity work|
Download Application form 2023
Download Application guide
A digital copy should be sent as one pdf document to the email - email@example.com (all the documents within the pdf file shall be placed in the order listed above)
Also, please send all materials by mail to:
Platz der Göttinger Sieben 2
Since all classes are held in English, applicants who do not speak English as native language have to submit a proof of proficiency in English. Of the many available formats, we accept the TOEFL and the IELTS (Academic). Applicants have to meet the minimum score of 80 TOEFL iBT, resp. 6.0 IELTS.
For more information regarding these tests, please visit the respective websites for the TOEFL or the IELTS
Test scores will be forwarded by the test centres directly to the Georg-August-Universität. Please make sure that your test scores arrive at the university in time to be reviewed with your application.
Applicants taking the TOEFL must indicate both the institution code of Georg-August-Universität AND the department code of the Faculty of Theology. Scores without the department code cannot be processed.
- Institution code: 4468
- Department code: 21 Applicants who prefer to take the IELTS must ensure that the scores are sent at the above address of Georg-August-Universität.
Fees and Expenses
- Fees and Expenses: app. 338 euros per semester (subject to change). Fees include a semester ticket that allows students to use local trains within the Federal States of Lower Saxony and Bremen free of charge.
- Costs of living: Living costs in Göttingen are modest compared to most university cities in Germany . Typically students require approx. 600 to 700 euros per month to cover accommodation, food, health insurance, books, etc. Students have the option to stay on the campus of the ELM Hermannsburg, which is very convenient and which we especially recommend at least for the first two semesters. The living costs (full pension) in Hermannsburg are about 375 euros per month.
- Job opportunities: Since the programme demands intensive study, part-time jobs are impractical.
For scholarship programmes please read the application guide.
Studying in Göttingen
Please visit also the website of the Office of Student Affairs for more information about studying in Göttingen and services for international students.