Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (M.Sc.)
This international study programme provides research-oriented, interdisciplinary training at the interface between computer science and biology. Core fields are bioinformatics and systems biology, meaning the analysis and modelling of data in molecular biology and biochemistry, in particular from genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics and metabolomics. Graduates will have a strong biological background as well as being able to understand and develop software for the handling and analysis of biological data.
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
- Master of Science (M.Sc.)
- Standard period of study:
- 4 semesters
- winter semester
- Language of the programme:
- English (C1)
- Restricted admission (application to the faculty).
Get to know us
The master‘s programme comprises the subject areas "Algorithms in Bioinformatics“, „Biological Data Mining“, „Computational and Functional Gemonics“, "Evolutionary Bioinformatics and Phylogeny“, „Bayesian Statistics and Infomation Theory“ as well as „Machine Learning“.
Based on their previous education students attend basic courses in biology or informatics during the first semester and receive an overview of the different areas of application for bioinformatics. Computational methods are supported by practical trainings in the wet lab. Advanced courses will focus on how these methods are used to answer current biological questions.
The research-oriented master’s programme typically follows a bachelor’s degree in Biology, Bioinformatics or Informatics. Fundamental knowledge of the subject and its methods are first conveyed in bridging modules. Later on students select courses within the core disciplines of the programme. Key competence modules additionally convey further occupational qualifying competencies.
Core Studies (54 ECTS)
- Bridging Coursese (10 C)
- Bioinformatics and its areas of application (8 C)
- Elective Courses ‚Bioinformatics‘ (24 C)
- Elective Courses ‚Biology‘ (12 C)
Professionalization (36 ECTS)
- Advanced Course in Computational Biology (12 C)
- Elective Courses ‚Informatics‘ (12 C)
- Key competencies (12 C)
Master’s Thesis (30 ECTS)
a Bachelor's degree (6 semester) in Biology, Bioinformatics or in Computational Sciences (with a minor in the field of Bioinformatics or Biology). Application is also possible for students who passed at least 5/6 of their Bachelor (150 of 180 C).
conditions for applicants with
- major in Biology: at least 50 C in Biology and 40 C in Bioinformatics, Informatics, Mathematics or Physics
- major in in Bioinformatics or Computer Sciences:at least 30 C in Biology and Bioinformatics 60 C in Informatics, Mathematics, Physics or Bioinformatics
- proficiency in English level C1 or higher
- succesful completion of the assesment test