Scientific Writing for Agricultural Economists 2022 (740162)
Prof. Dr. S. von Cramon-Taubadel
Time and place
September 26 – 30, 2022, University of Göttingen (“Hochhaus am Waldweg”, lecture room 0.120)
This course is designed to help PhD students in agricultural economics improve the skills that are required to communicate and ultimately publish scientific research in refereed journals.
- Introduction: Why "scientific writing"?
- Writing, submitting, revising, publishing and reviewing scientific papers - What is expected of you?
- Writing papers in English - Suggestions, (avoiding) common mistakes, encouragement
- The journals landscape in agricultural economics
- Good scientific practice and scientific writing
- Commonwealth Forestry Association's Online Guide to Scientific Publication
- Jack Lynch's Guide to Grammar and Style
- University of Toronto - Advice on Academic Writing
- University of Exeter - Workshops in Economic Psychology
- Duke University – Graduate School Scientific Writing Resource
- Some words of encouragement from George Akerlof
- Good Scientific Practice: The University of Göttingen Ombuds Office
Two lecture blocks: each day from 9:00 (10:30 on Monday) to 12:00 and from 13:00 to 15:30. On Friday the 30th there will only be a morning session.
Prerequisites and formalities
The course will take place in English and a solid command of the English language is expected. This is not an English course! Students who wish to receive credit for this course will be expected to attend all lectures. This is a 3 credit course. A laptop is not required, but it will help you participate.
There is no text for this course. Useful websites that will be referred to in this course include: