For international students, Göttingen International offers a current overview of regulations for entering and traveling to Göttingen under pandemic conditions.
Welcome at the Faculty of Biology!
In order to study at University of Göttingen at Faculty of Biology as an exchange student (e.g. Erasmus+, Tuition Waiver), you must first apply for the exchange programme at your home university and need to be selected/nominated through your university. Please get informed first at your home university whether there is a cooperation with the University of Göttingen, Faculty of Biology and Psychology. Further information are given at the International Office of Göttingen.
- Guide for exchange students of biology (pdf)
- Fact Sheet of the Department of Biology (pdf)
- More information at Göttingen International
I. Most of our Bachelor courses are held in German only. We recommend German knowledge of level B2 (no proof necessary).
II. Few courses at Bachelor level are offered in English. We recommend English knowledge of level B2 (no proof necessary).
III. All Master courses are held in English. Hence, we ask for an English language certificate level C1. Latest by arrival in Göttingen you must hand in this language proof to our Biology Erasmus Office.
IV. Students performing an individual laboratory project should have knowledge of both German (level B1, no proof necessary) and English (level B2, no proof necessary). Despite most people in lab will be able to communicate in English, for everyday life some knowledge of German is strongly recommended.
DATES AND DEADLINES
Academic calender of the University of GöttingenOfficial application deadline (at University of Göttingen):
- 1st of June for winter term or full academic year
- 1st of December for summer term
Please note: Also the Online registration and the Learning Agreement have to be filled in prior to this date!
Nomination deadline (at Faculty of Biology Göttingen for Erasmus+ exchange):
- 1st of March - 30th of April for winter term or full academic year
- 1st of March - 31st of October for summer term
COURSES FOR EXCHANGE STUDENTS
Create your study plan
After your online registration at the University of Göttingen, you should prepare your study plan. In the Guide for exchange students of biology (pdf) several instructions can be found on courses and the option taking a laboratory project. The courses available are listed below. After you set up your study plan and timetable, please share it with us via firstname.lastname@example.org to avoid misconceptions. We would like to ask you to always indicate the module numbers (e.g. B.Bio.xxx) and the name of the module you are interested in. We will inform you whether your plan is suitable, or will give you other suggestions.
Send us your transcript of records and language certificates
Together with your study plan, please send us your Transcript of Records (for Bachelor and if applicable Master courses) as we wish to know if you meet the level of knowledge required for some courses.
Fill in your learning agreement (LA)
As soon as we agreed on your study plan, you could fill in your learning agreement (LA). Erasmus+ students please use the forms provided by your home university. Non-Erasmus+ students could use the Learning Agreement for non-Erasmus+ students(pdf).
Read the courses we offer for exchange students
Courses at Bachelor level held in German (pdf)
Several steps need to be done to apply for exchange studies at the University of Göttingen. All information concerning the application can be found at Application in 7 Steps . Please note: Also the Online registration and the Learning Agreement have to be filled in until the indicated deadlines!
You will be contacted by us after your online registration is sent to email@example.com.
INFORMATION EVENTS (for further reading)
GOOD TO KNOW
With the EU programme Erasmus+ you can study on partner universities in throughout Europe. A bilateral agreement on faculty level between the Faculty of Biology and Psychology and a faculty at the respective partner university ensures subject-specific courses. An overview of our partner universities can be found under Partner universities Biology. The study exchange is possible for one or two semesters.Erasmus+, that includes...
- Assistance with necessary formalities
- No tuition fees at the partner university
- Financial support to cover travel expenses
- Subject-specific support at the host university
- Recognition of course credits from abroad
- Informative meeting "Erasmus+ programme Biology" November 2019 (pdf)
- Partner universities Biology and field reports
- Steps after admission
Information about the Erasmus+ programme for students of Psychology can be found on the website of Psychology.
The Global Exchange Programme offers the opportunity to spend a semester or a year at Göttingen University’s partner universities worldwide. Since these are contracts with partner universities and no faculty-specific bilateral contracts, subject specific questions can not always be answered here (e.g. regarding the courses, study programmes, etc at the partner university). You need to get information directly at the corresponding university, as it is possible, that some partner universities do not offer any courses in the field of biology. In addition to your own research, the team at Göttingen International offers a counseling service for interested students, which is strongly recommended to make use of.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Global Exchange Programme offers:
- No tuition fees at the partner university
- Administrative help for the application in Göttingen
- Support at the partner university
- 1st of December (for winter semester in the following year)
- 1st of June (for summer semester in the following year)
Application and counselling (Göttingen International)
- CHN - Hong Kong Baptist University - WiSe 2013/14 (pdf)
- CHN - Tsinghua University, Peking - 2017/18 (pdf)
- AUS - University of Technology, Sydney - WiSe 2014/15 (pdf)
- AUS - University of Technology Sydney - WiSe 2015/16 (pdf)
- AUS - Macquarie University in Sydney, Juli - Dez 2015 (pdf)
- AUS - Victoria University, Melbourne, Februar - Juni 2016 (pdf)
- USA - California State University, Monterey Bay - WiSe 2015/16 (pdf)
- CAN - McMaster University, Hamilton - 2017/18-1(pdf)
- CAN - McMaster University, Hamilton - 2017/18-2 (pdf)
- CAN - McMaster University, Hamilton - 2016/17 (pdf)
The liveSciences3project offers funding for stays abroad of master students at the project’s partner universities:
- University of Rennes 1 (France)
- Free University Amsterdam (The Netherlands)
- Aarhus University (Denmark)
- University of Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- University of Talca (Chile)
- Costa Rica Institute of Technology (Costa Rica)
The funding (liveSciences³ Mobility Grant) covers a travel and accommodarion allowance for up to six months. More information about prerequisits and application can be found on the project’s website.