- Aid, China, and Growth: Evidence from a New Global Development Finance Dataset (with Axel Dreher, Bradley Parks, Austin M. Strange and Michael J. Tierney), American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 13(2): 135-174, May 2021.
- Democracy and Aid Donorship (with Angelika J. Budjan), American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 13(4): 217-38, November 2021
- African Leaders and the Geography of China’s Foreign Assistance (with Axel Dreher, Roland Hodler, Bradley Parks, Paul A. Raschky and Michael J. Tierney), Journal of Development Economics 140: 44-71, September 2019.
- The Effects of Foreign Aid on Refugee Flows (with Axel Dreher and Sarah Langlotz), European Economic Review 112:127-147, February 2019.
- State Control and the Effects of Foreign Relations on Bilateral Trade (with Christina Davis and Kristina Johnson), Journal of Conflict Resolution 63(2): 405.438, February 2019.
- The Home Bias in Sovereign Ratings (with Kai Gehring), Journal of the European Economic Association 15(6): 1386-1423, December 2017.
- Tracking Under-Reported Financial Flows: China’s Development Finance and the Aid-Conflict Nexus Revisited (with Austin M. Strange, Axel Dreher, Bradley Parks and Michael J. Tierney), Journal of Conflict Resolution 61(5): 935-963, May 2017.
- Rogue Aid? An Empirical Analysis of China’s Aid Allocation (with Axel Dreher), Canadian Journal of Economics 48(3): 988-1023, August 2015
- Paying a Visit: The Dalai Lama Effect on International Trade (with Nils-Hendrik Klann), Journal of International Economics 91(1): 164-177, September 2013.
- HIV Treatment and Worker Absenteeism: Quasi-Experimental Evidence from a Large-Scale Health Program in South Africa (with Dominik Jockers, Declan French, and Till Bärnighausen), Journal of Health Economics 79, September 2021.
- Fueling Conflict? : (De)Escalation and Bilateral Aid (with Richard Bluhm, Martin Gassebner, and Paul Schaudt), Journal of Applied Econometrics 36 (2): 244–61, 2021.
- Aid and Growth. New Evidence Using an Excludable Instrument (with Axel Dreher), Canadian Journal of Economics 53 (3): 1162–98, 2020.
- The Effects of Foreign Aid on Refugee Flows (with Axel Dreher and Andreas Fuchs), European Economic Review 112:127-147, February 2019
- China and the World Bank: How Contrasting Development Approaches Affect State Stability. (with Kai Gehring and Melvin H. L. Wong), Journal of Development Economics 158: 102902, September 2022.
- Supply‐Chain Trade and Labor Market Outcomes: The Case of the 2004 European Union Enlargement (with Tristan Kohl and Inmaculada Martínez‐Zarzoso), Review of International Economics 26 (2): 481– 506, 2018.
- Do no harm? Field research in the Global South: Ethical challenges faced by research staff (with Jana Kuhnt and Janina I. Steinert), World Development 127: 104810, 2020.
- Decoupled but not neutral: The effects of counter-cyclical cash transfers on investment and incomes in rural Thailand (with A. Wagener), American Journal of Agricultural Economics (forthcoming).
- Vocational training programs and youth labor market outcomes: Evidence from Nepal (with S. Chakravarty, M. Lundberg, and P. Nikolov), Journal of Development Economics 136, 2019.
- Better knowledge need not affect behavior: A randomized evaluation of the demand for lottery tickets in rural Thailand (with A. Wagener and S. Vollmer), World Bank Economic Review 32 (3), 2018.