Data Privacy Statement Alumni Newsletter
Article 1 Information on the Collection of Personal Data
(1) In the following, we provide information about the collection and processing of personal data when sending alumni newsletters. Personal data is all data that can be related to you personally.
(2) In accordance with Article 4(7) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Controller is
Prof Dr. Metin Tolan
37073 Göttingen, Germany
Phone +49 (0)551 39-21000
Our Data Protection Officer, Prof. Andreas Wiebe, can be reached at the address "Platz der Göttinger Sieben 6, 37073 Göttingen, Germany", Phone +49 (0)551 39-7381, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions regarding the content of the newsletters can be directed to email@example.com.
(3) When contacting us via email or a contact form, we will use the personal data (your email address, in some cases your name and phone number as well) that you provide to us in order to answer your questions. We delete case-related data when storage is no longer necessary and restrict processing given statutory storage obligations.
(4) We use the services of the following service providers (order processing) to send the mails:
- Newsletter Portal: Clever Elements GmbH, Lohmühlenstraße 65, 12435 Berlin, Germany
- CRM data management: Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen, Am Faßberg 11, 37077 Göttingen.
(5) To prevent unauthorized access to your personal data by third parties, the connection is encrypted using SSL/TLS technology.
Article 2 Your Rights
(1) You have the following rights regarding our use of your personal data:
- Right of access (Art. 15 GDPR)
- Right to revoke consent under data protection law (Art. 7 (3) GDPR)
- Right to rectification (Art. 16 GDPR)
- Right to erasure / right to be forgotten (Art. 17 GDPR)
- Right to restriction of processing (Art. 18 GDPR)
- Right to object to processing (Art. 21 GDPR)
(2) You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a data protection supervisory authority about our processing of your personal data. If you wish to file a complaint, you may also contact the State Data Protection Authority for Lower Saxony, located at Prinzenstrasse 5, 30159 Hannover, Germany, phone number +49 (0)511/120-4500, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Article 3 Purposes, Processed Data & Legal Basis
Your data will be processed to maintain contact between the University of Göttingen and its graduates. The data will not be used for any other purpose in the context of newsletter administration
(2) Processed data
On our newsletter portal, we process the following data: Salutation, name, e-mail address, subscribed distribution list as well as matriculation number, if applicable. For the selection of faculty distribution lists as well as for the documentation of objections, we manage student data (periods, courses of study, degree types) in our CRM.
(3) Legal basis
As a rule, data processing is carried out in accordance with § 1 para. 1, p. 1 and § 11 of the Regulations for the Collection and Processing of Personal Data of Applicants, Early Students, Students, Examination Candidates, Former University Members (excluding Employees) and Guest Students of the Georg-August University of Göttingen (PersDatO, Link) and in accordance with § 3 NHG in order to fulfill the tasks of the University. If the subscription was set up exclusively at your request, the processing is based on Art. 6 para. 1 lit. a. GDPR.
§ 4. Objection or Revocation against the Processing of your Data
(1) The revocation of the sending authorization is usually made via a corresponding link at the end of the e-mail, but can also be sent to the address email@example.com. A revocation does not affect the lawfulness of the processing until the time of revocation.
(2) Insofar as the processing was based on consent pursuant to Art. 6 Para. 1 lit. a GDPR, all personal data will be deleted after revocation of the authorization to send.
(3) Insofar as the processing of your personal data was based on § 1 para. 1, p. 1 PersDat or §3 NHG, the e-mail address will be excluded from further sending. The data will remain in the system in order to exclude re-admission to the distribution list (for example, through a follow-up study). If there is still a legal basis in the sense of the PersDatO, their data will also be processed thereafter. Independently of our newsletters, we invite our alumni to alumni reunions (10 or 25 years after graduation). These remain unaffected by the unsubscription of our newsletters.
§ 5. Subscription to Alumni Newsletters via our Website
(2) We use a so-called double opt-in procedure for the registration, i.e. your registration is only completed when you have previously confirmed via a confirmation e-mail sent to you for this purpose by clicking on the link contained therein.
(3) By registering on the website, the IP address assigned by your internet service provider (ISP), the date and the time of registration are stored. The storage of this data takes place against the background that only in this way the misuse of our services can be prevented, and these data allow, if necessary, to clarify committed crimes. In this respect, the storage of this data is necessary for the protection of the data controller. As a matter of principle, this data is not passed on to third parties unless there is a legal obligation to pass it on or the passing on serves the purpose of criminal prosecution.
(4) As the controller, we have implemented numerous technical and organizational measures to ensure the most complete protection of personal data processed through this website. Nevertheless, internet-based data transmissions may be subject to security vulnerabilities, so that absolute protection cannot be guaranteed. For this reason, every data subject is free to conclude the subscription with us by alternative means, for example by telephone (+49 551 39-26211) or by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
§ 6 Social Media Links
§ 7 Storage period
Your data will be processed until revoked. If a legal basis exists, processing is also possible after revocation (see 4.3).