You have a BA degree in history or equivalent and are looking for a Master's programme where you can choose between specialisation and a broad focus? Our Master's programme offers both options: Depending on your personal prior knowledge and interests, you can choose a specialisation in the global history of Europe in the modern era or an in-depth, epochally broad-based degree.
- Master of Arts (M.A.)
- Language of the programme:
- German, some courses in English
- Standard period of studies:
- 4 Semesters
- Start of studies:
- summer and winter semester
- Application to the Faculty
Get to know us
The M.A. History is a consecutive degree programme that builds on relevant Bachelor's degree programmes to provide in-depth knowledge of history from antiquity to the present.
The degree programme offers a scientifically in-depth education in the subject of history with a focus on German, European and non-European history and culture. It imparts knowledge of historical events and contexts, methodological competence in the preparation and critical interpretation of historical material (images, film, interviews) as well as in the conception and presentation of research results in history projects such as exhibitions, documentaries, publications, reports and so on.
The degree of Master of Arts in History qualifies for a university career, for activities in scientific, historical-cultural, cultural-didactic, journalistic and political fields as well as in science management and public relations.
This degree programme can be studied in 3 different profiles:
- Single Honours MA totalling 78 credits (mono-master)
- Joint Honours MA totalling 42 credits in combination with one module package (minor) totalling 36 credits
- Joint Honours MA totalling 42 credits in combination with two module packages (minors) totalling 18 credits each
You can apply for one study profile and have the possibility to choose the study focus „Global History of Europe in the Modern Age“.
- B.A.-Degree or equivalent degree in history or a related subject
- at least 150 ETCS at the time of application
- Performance in the subject History amounting to at least 51 ETCS, including Performance in at least two of four epochs (Ancient History, Middle Ages, Early Modern Period, Modern Period), each amounting to at least 6 credits
- If German is not your first language, you must provide proof of proficiency in German at level of the DSH-2 .
- Good knowledge of English is recommended.
- If the master’s thesis deals with a topic from modern times, proof of knowledge of another modern foreign language (apart from English) at level B1 / basic level 3 is required by the time you register for the Master's thesis. Language skills can be acquired during the Master's degree programme.
- If the final module is in the pre-modern period (Ancient History or Middle Ages), knowledge of the Latin Minimum must be proven by the time you register for the Master's thesis.
Academic Advising (Ancient History)
Johannes Wegener M.Ed.
and Dr. Dorit Engster
Room: 1.412 (Wegener)
Room: 1.415 (Engster)
Phone: 0551 3924641 (Wegener)
Phone: 0551 3924720 (Engster)