In publica commoda

Master's Degree in Arabic Studies / Islamic Studies

Proof of knowledge of German or English for enrollment

Proof of German language skills:

If your native language is not German, you must demonstrate sufficient knowledge of the German language at level C1 of the European Framework of Reference. Proof is provided by these successful examinations

  • DSH examination min. level 2 (overall result DSH-2) or
  • TestDaF (min. 4xTDN4) or
  • Goethe-Zertifikats C2 or
  • telc German C1 university.

Those who have taken an equivalent exam can apply for an exemption at the Lectorate. A DSH certificate from another university can only be recognized if the DSH examination regulations of this university are registered with the HRK and if your German language skills actually correspond to the required DSH level (see here ).

It is your responsibility to acquire the language skills necessary for enrollment/matriculation in a timely manner.

Alternative language option: Proof of English proficiency:

There is an alternative option to enroll in this degree program with English language proficiency and to take only English language courses.

If your native language is not English, sufficient English proficiency must be demonstrated with standardized or accredited certificates at least at level B2 of the Council of Europe's Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

In particular, the following serve as proof:

a) UNIcert®: at least certificate UNIcert® II;
b) NULTE certificates: min. level B2;
c) Cambridge English Scale: min. 160 points;d) "International English Language Testing System" (IELTS Academic): min. band 6.0;
d) "Test of English as a Foreign Language, internet-based test" (TOEFL iBT): min. 78 points;
f) Global Scale of English (Pearson Academic): at least 59 points;
g) Other evidence at level B2 or higher according to GeR.

The successful completion of the test (a-f) must not be more than three years prior to the receipt of the application for admission.

At least one year of study or professional stay in a country where English is the official language or the successful completion of at least two years of study in English are also considered as proof of sufficient knowledge of the English language.

Proof of sufficient knowledge of the English language must be submitted to the Faculty of Arts and Humanities by September 30 when enrolling for a winter semester, and by March 31 when enrolling for a summer semester. Proof is a matriculation requirement; conditional enrollment does not occur.

The selection committee decides on the equivalence of further proof in individual cases; for its decision, the selection committee may obtain an expert opinion from another institution (e.g. ZESS)