Turkology/Turkish Studies (M.A.)
You have a Bachelor's degree in Turkology and are looking for a Master's programme in which you can explore the large Turkic-speaking cultural area with its diverse interconnections and cultural syntheses (Indian, Chinese, Arabic, Persian)? Our Master of Arts Turkology and Central Asian Studies offers a comprehensive Turkological programme on a philological and cultural studies basis with individual design options depending on your personal prior knowledge and research interests.
- Turkology/Turkish Studies
- Master of Arts (M.A.)
- Language of the programme:
- Standard period of study:
- 4 semesters
- Start of studies:
- Winter semester
- Application to the Faculty
Get to know us
The degree programme provides in-depth academic training in the subject of Turkish Studies (philological, cultural studies and history of religion). It prepares students for a career in academia or in research-oriented or research-related institutions.
Students receive a thorough education in ancient and Middle Turkish philology and manuscript studies, which is complemented by the teaching of religious history, cultural studies and literary studies. One focus is on Central Asian Turkish literatures from the pre-Islamic period, but also from the Islamic period. This training is supplemented by the teaching of Classical Mongolian. In particular, a deeper understanding of the cultures along the ancient Silk Roads is imparted.
Depending on the orientation and combination of the programme, as well as internships accompanying the studies, the degree of M.A. in Turkish Studies qualifies for:
- university careers
- jobs in research and cultural institutions
- the field of journalism
- cultural management
- public relations
and generally for all professional fields that require comprehensive knowledge of Turkish languages and cultures, as well as intercultural competences (e.g. translation, tourism, diplomacy, economics and politics).
Related and consecutive programmes
This degree programme can be studied in 2 different profiles.
- Joint Honours MA totalling 42 Credits in combination with one module package (minor) totalling 36 Credits
- Joint Honours MA totalling 42 Credits in combination with 2 module packages (minors) totalling 18 Credits
You can apply for one study profile.
- B.A. degree or equivalent
At least 50 credits must be earned, including at least 6 credits in the area of Advanced Language Competence in Turkish.
Very good knowledge of Turkish:
- 24 credits in the area of language acquisition of the Turkish of Turkey
- Alternatively: 18 credits in the field of Turkish of Turkey and 6 credits in the field of language acquisition of another Turkic language.
Note for international applicants:
If your mother tongue is not German, you must prove sufficient knowledge of the German language at level C1 of the European Framework of Reference for Languages. Further information can be found here.