Social Sciences (Ph.D./doctorate)
A research-oriented, curriculum-defined postgraduate training programme enables students to master, critically reflect on and apply recent theories and methods of the Social Sciences and to produce scientific expertise. In addition, students are to acquire key qualifications.
- Social Sciences
- Dr. disc. Pol. or PhD
- Graduate school:
- Standard period of studies:
- 6 Semesters
- Start of studies:
- winter and summer semester
- Teaching language:
- restricted (application to the Faculty)
Get to know us
The aim of the doctoral programme "Social Sciences" at the Faculty of Social Sciences is to qualify students to take on responsible tasks in research and teaching and in non-university professional fields. A research-oriented, curriculum-defined postgraduate training programme enables students to master, critically reflect on and apply recent theories and methods of the social sciences and to produce scientific expertise. In addition, students are to acquire key qualifications.
The topic of the dissertation must be chosen from a subject represented at the Faculty of Social Sciences: Education, Ethnology, Gender Studies, Modern Indian Studies, Political Science, Social Science Diversity Research, Sociology or Sports Science.
The common research object of the individual disciplines in the Faculty of Social Sciences is the social action of people in a historically and socially determinable place. Against the backdrop of current social processes and problems, the conditions of individual and collective action are examined, its culture-, gender- and class-specific forms are described and its effects and consequences are researched on a macro-social as well as on a micro-social level. The aim is to use the combination of subjects united in the Faculty of Social Sciences, which is not found at any other location, to theoretically and empirically penetrate current subject areas from different perspectives. In doing so, theory-based social science methods are applied. The joint Methods Centre of the Faculty of Social Sciences provides methodological advice and support for empirical research projects. In the following years, research at the Faculty of Social Sciences is primarily determined by two main research areas: "Educational research: educational and occupational biographical transitions in the early life course" and "Globalisation of economic action and institutional change".
Academic teaching and research activities in university and non-university research institutions, management positions in the field of public relations and media, in administrations, in knowledge management, in international organisations and in intercultural transfer, in adult and continuing education, in associations, consulting agencies and in market and opinion research.
- September 15th for the winter semester
- March 15th for the summer semester
- Completed M.A. programme with a standard period of study of one year ( minimum of 240 ECTS credits ) or equivalent programme in a subject area represented at the Faculty of Social Sciences or a related subject area.
- M.A. degree or equivalent degree with a marking of “good” (2.5) or better , or proof of eligibility by means of an exposé; the decision will be taken by the Graduate Committee on the basis of an expert report written by an external evaluator.
relevance and validity
must be substantiated by the following documents:
- Proof of examination achievements completed during the B.A. or M.A. programme or an equivalent programme amounting to at least 100 ECTS credits earned in the subject that the proposed doctoral thesis deals with, or
- Proof of examination achievements completed during the B.A. or M.A. programme or an equivalent programme amounting to at least 50 ECTS credits earned in the subject that the proposed doctoral thesis deals with, and proof of examination achievements completed during the B.A. or M.A. programme or an equivalent programme amounting to at least 50 ECTS credits earned in other subjects that can be selected for doctoral studies at the Göttingen Graduate School of Social Sciences (GGG) or the Graduate School of Humanities Göttingen (GSGG).
- The Graduate Committee may grant provisional acceptance, allowing the student to earn credits not yet earned within the following two semesters ( “study contract” amounting to 30 ECTS credits max. )
- Applicants who are neither in the possession of a German university entrance qualification nor of a B.A. or M.A. degree (or in an equivalent degree) from a German university must possess sufficient knowledge of the German language (DSH 2 level) .
sufficient knowledge of the English language
do not have to submit proof of their knowledge of German. Applicants whose mother tongue is not English must prove their proficiency in English by meeting the minimum requirements in one of these internationally acknowledged tests:
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English,
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English,
- “International English Language Testing System” (IELTS), at least on “Band 6” level,
- at least 550 points in the hand-written version of the “Test of English as a Foreign Language” (paper-based TOEFL),
- at least 220 points in the computer-based version of the “Test of English as a Foreign Language” (computer-based TOEFL),
- at least 83 points in the “new Internet-based TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language”,
- UNIcert level „III“,
- C1 certificate in accordance with CEF (Common European Framework).
- No more than three years must have passed between the successful completion of the test and the application for admission to the doctoral studies programme.
- Applicants who have spent two or more years in an English-speaking country (English is official language) for education or work within three years before applying for admission do not have to submit proof of their proficiency in English.
Confirmation of supervision:
a confirmation of a member of the Faculty of Social Studies who is an authorised examiner that he or she is going to supervise the candidate’s doctoral thesis
Questions regarding applications
Platz der Göttinger Sieben 3,
Phone: +49-551 39-26540
Platz der Göttinger Sieben 3
Phone: +49-551 39-27159